Buildings of Sligo – The Provincial Bank

The Provincial Bank was the first bank opened in Sligo in 1828, originally located across the street near the old bridge on Stephens Street. In 1881, a new Renaissance style building was erected on Stephens Street, designed by the Architect Thomas Manley Deane and built by Joseph Clarence. The facade is made of Mountcharles sandstone with the side of the building made from Ballisodare limestone. … Continue reading Buildings of Sligo – The Provincial Bank

Old Buildings of Sligo Andersons Brewery

In 1834, the firm of Davy & Cochran built a brewery on a site at Old Shambles Street now Kempten Promenade off Bridge Street. The business was named Lough Gill brewery and operated until 1842 before closing due to bankruptcy. It was then acquired by Charles Anderson. Anderson operated a brewery on Water Lane and transferred his business to the larger site. After Anderson’s death … Continue reading Old Buildings of Sligo Andersons Brewery