Cockran’s Mall Sligo in the 19th Century

Originally posted on Sligo Walking Tours:
Art murals by the talented late Sligo artist Bernard McDonagh on the walls of the back bar in the Embassy/The Belfry on Kennedy Parade, Sligo. McDonagh was influenced by the local history of the street, recreating scenes of Linenhall Street in the late 18 century and early 19th century.     In the late 18th century, the street was… Continue reading Cockran’s Mall Sligo in the 19th Century

Old Buildings of Sligo Andersons Brewery

In 1834, the firm of Davy & Cochran built a brewery on a site at Old Shambles Street now Kempten Promenade off Bridge Street. The business was named Lough Gill brewery and operated until 1842 before closing due to bankruptcy. It was then acquired by Charles Anderson. Anderson operated a brewery on Water Lane and transferred his business to the larger site. After Anderson’s death … Continue reading Old Buildings of Sligo Andersons Brewery

Whiskey in the jar – A brief history of the original Sligo Distillery

  As work continues in Sligo, to open a craft distillery and visitor centre at the Palladian Georgian mansion, Hazelwood House, we take a look back at the history of one of Sligo’s original distilleries.  In the 19th century, Sligo had gained a reputation for producing high-quality ale and whiskey.  At one point, there were several breweries and distilleries operating in Sligo, one of these was the … Continue reading Whiskey in the jar – A brief history of the original Sligo Distillery