Patrick Maughan shop advertisement from a tourist brochure produced in 1946. Enniscrone the popular seaside village in west Sligo, in the 1940s the shop was described as Enniscrone’s main shopping centre, it included drapers, grocers, hardware, wine and provisions.
In 2009, the grey slate roof can still be seen on the building block. The original sash windows were replaced with uPVC versions. The original shop front layout hasn’t changed too much, the doorway is now enclosed. In 2009, Maughan’s shop was an Indian restaurant called Bombay Tandoori.
By 2018, the restaurant has closed and the building block has got a new roof, new modern sash windows are in keeping with the original wooden windows. While the shopfront layout has remained the same, unfortunately, the wooden shopfront fittings have been ripped out including the ornate wooden cornices. The stretch in front of the building block has now been paved.
Maughan’s also owned the nearby Cliff Baths in 1946 which still remains today down on the seafront, minus one of the corner towers.
Image sources: Authors own from a 1940s Tourist brochure and Google Maps