The Provincial Bank was the first bank opened in Sligo in 1828, originally located across the street near the old bridge on Stephens Street. In 1881, a new Renaissance style building was erected on Stephens Street, designed by the Architect Thomas Manley Deane and built by Joseph Clarence.
The facade is made of Mountcharles sandstone with the side of the building made from Ballisodare limestone. It was built back from the street and originally had ornamental railings. After the bank mergers in the 1970’s, the bank is now operated as Allied Irish Bank (AIB).
Irish Architectural Archive – < dia.ie >
National Library of Ireland – < nli.ie >
Gallagher, Fiona, The Streets of Sligo – Urban Evolution (Sligo, 2008)
Newspaper Archive – Sligo Chronicle – May 1881
Images: Author’s Own