In 1834, the firm of Davy & Cochran built a brewery on a site at Old Shambles Street now Kempten Promenade off Bridge Street. The business was named Lough Gill brewery and operated until 1842 before closing due to bankruptcy. It was then acquired by Charles Anderson. Anderson operated a brewery on Water Lane and transferred his business to the larger site. After Anderson’s death in 1882, the brewery continued to operate for a time.
For a short period, O’Connor, Walsh & Company operated a Sawmills and timber warehouse at the site. By 1889, the buildings were bought by Edward Foley who returned the buildings to brewery use and later mineral drinks production until it closed in 1972.
In the late 1970’s the Rehabilitation organisation took over the building and used it as a training centre. By 2000, Rehab had moved to new premises and the building was left empty. The building was bought and renovated into The Velvet Room nightclub in 2006 by Philip McGarry. It was also for a short time the HMV sound garden music venue. Today, it is run as Anderson’s restaurant bringing the old name back into use.
Stainless steel rods on the Garavogue River outside the former brewery site. It is an art installation by Scottish artist, Donald Urquhart, the public artwork is entitled Lines/Plane: Larus/Cygnus. The artist explains his work ‘The polished rods reflect in the water and in turn, reflect the surrounding environment, including the play of light through the work, thus creating an ever-changing visual and poetic dialogue with the elements.’
Cygnus is a northern constellation lying on the plane of the Milky Way, deriving its name from the Latinized Greek word for swan, while Larus is Latin for gulls.
Wood-Martin, Abraham, History of Sligo, Vol. 3 (Dublin, 1892).
O’Rorke, Terence, The History of Sligo: Town & County (Dublin, 1890).
Gallagher, Fiona, Streets of Sligo, (Sligo, 2008).
National Library of Ireland < nli.ie >
Public art < publicart.ie >
Tadgh Kilgannon Collection
Other images – Author’s own